볼거리 및 관광 명소
DailyOperating time: 06.00 - 18.00
located on a mound on the west side of the railway near San Phra Kan.
Category : Other religious & spiritural sites, Historical Sites & Monuments
Attraction Details :
Phra-prang Sam Yod is situated in sub-district of Tha-Hin, district of Muang Lopburi in Lopburi province. On the hills to the west of the railway track, near Phra Garn shrine, lies an ancient ruin which is a famous attraction and also one of the most important archeological sites of Lopburi. The site is constructed according to Khmer architecture form, Bayon Art (1177-1230). The structure is of laterite (Silalang) decorated with sculptured clay ornaments. It was built during the reign of King Chai-woraman VII (1181-1214) for religious matters, Vajarayan Buddhist cult, besides the site would be Lavos’ (aka Lopburi) city sacred site. During the time, Lavo was under the power of Cambodia. Originally, inside the main pagoda enshrined an image of a Naga, the pagoda to the south enshrined an image of Phra Lokae-suan (Bodhisattva Loki State/ state of an Ice Princess) having four hands, and the pagoda to the North enshrines an image of Phranang Pratchya-Paramita who has two hands.
The form and architectural style is a laterite castle of the Khmer, having altogether three castles attached to one another through mukkasaan. Aside from the three castles, to the east of the main pagoda, there is a brick cathedral directly connected to it, where a Buddha image of the Phra-Narai Maharat period is displayed. These three Khmer castles are joined together through mukkasaan (Antarara), a structure built to join the main throne hall to other parts of the construction, being placed in the north-south orientation facing the east. The main castle is larger than the other two structures, created mainly from laterite and concrete; there are also adornments created from clay attached around the main structure. This particular manner of architecture is significant to the trend during reign of King Chai-woraman VII (1181-1214) where laterite was commonly used.
The structure itself is a brick pagoda having a rectangular floor plan facing the east. Today, there remains merely two walls and Panung Hum Klong (partition covering sacred image) on the east. The others are all destroyed. The Panung Hum Klong to the east is a western influenced arch while the side entrance of the pagoda and the rear window has an Islamic influenced style, pointed arch.
Nowadays, there remains only the window arch to the north. Parts of the structure of walls are from thick opaque laterite blocks, significant to Phra-Narai Maharats’ period, similar to other architectural forms built during this period, having the blocks set out in layers. At the back of the pagoda, there are segmented embossed patterns joining with the east doorway of the main pagoda. Where again, this particular embossing technique is one of the many significant architectural manners of King Narais’ era.
Wednesday to Sunday from 06:00 – 18:00; the fair is 10 Baht for Thai citizens and 50 Baht for foreigners. An alternative choice is for a multi-entrance, 30 Baht for Thai citizens and 150 for foreigners this price includes a pass for Wat Phrasriratana Mahathat, Phra-ti-nung Kraisorn –sihara, Phra-prang Samyod and Lhuang Wichayens’ resident.